Hey, fellow Arkansans! You may remember that in my last blog I announced that I would be going back to Pup Law School to learn more about the family business. For the past month, I’ve been hitting the books HARD, and I’ve learned all about car insurance. With my big final coming up, I thought I’d share my Spark(y) Notes (get it? Sparky? Because I’m a dog…don’t worry, I haven’t lost my sense of humor by going back to school). Keep reading – these notes might help you, too!
Chapter 1: Do I Need Auto Insurance?
- Auto liability is legally REQUIRED in the state of Arkansas
- Auto Liability has TWO components
- Bodily Injury Liability
- PAYS FOR: another person’s physical injuries/medical bills
- Property Damage Liability
- PAYS FOR: another person’s property/cars
Chapter 2: HELP I’ve been hit…and the other driver is NOT covered!
- Is Uninsured Coverage required?
- Nope. But it is useful!
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- USEFUL WHEN: paying for medical bills or repairs when hit by a driver who doesn’t have insurance
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- USEFUL WHEN: liability limits aren’t enough to cover medical costs
- Comprehensive Insurance
- USEFUL WHEN: damage other than car wreck i.e.: fire, flood, theft
- Collision Insurance
- USEFUL WHEN: car is damaged by crash or rollover
Chapter 3: Hey, what is MedPay?
- Nope. Optional Addition
- Why Add It?
- Medical Payments Coverage possibly covers you + injured passengers
- COVERS WHAT? Hospital visits, surgery, X-rays, chiropractic treatment, physical therapy, etc
- What if it was my fault…
- Doesn’t matter! Med Pay works REGARDLESS of who hit whom
- Raise My Rates?
- Not for using Med Pay (that’s the law in Arkansas!)
NOTE: It’s important to have this insurance coverage on your policy BEFORE the accident – otherwise, you can’t use it!
Well, that’s all I’ve got folks! I’ve been stress-eating extra kibble trying to nail down all the ins and outs of Auto Insurance. I’ll let y’all know how the test goes. Who is up for celebratory pup-cakes afterward?!
Interested in more information? Check out Taylor King’s…