Receiving personal injury compensation is never easy, and you need to hire a lawyer. Choosing a lawyer is not a daunting task, once you know what questions you should be asking at your first meeting. For slip and fall injuries, you would obviously want to find a lawyer who has experience in such cases and somebody whom you can trust.
It is odd that you ever meet an attorney that charges for the initial consultation, and you should make use of this opportunity to ask a list of questions, which can help you make the right choice. Apart from fees, here are certain areas that you must cover, and the questions you should be asking.
- How long have you been a lawyer?
How many slip and fall cases you have managed in the last year, and how many had a successful outcome?
Style of Fighting a Slip and Fall Case
- What is your approach to a slip and fall case?
- Do you provide your clients with options and expect them to make decisions, or do you suggest the best course of action?
Assessment of Your Slip and Fall Case
- What is my slip and fall case worth, or is it worth going to trial?
- What amount of settlement is reasonable to accept?
- What are the chances of my case going to trial, compared to an early settlement?
- How long will the case take?
- Are there options for arbitration or mediation?
Management of Your Case
- Will you be personally managing my case or is there another attorney involved?
- Will you provide progress reports and how often can I expect them?
- Who will be handling the settlement negotiations?
- What is the best way of contacting you, and how long do you usually take to respond?